With the initiative of the White House and First Lady Michelle Obama, there are Military Job Fairs popping up more and more every day. Some of these are sponsored by a local community organization while others are sponsored by specific industries or single corporations.
Why Attend Job Fairs Instead of Applying Online
- Businesses that participate in Military Job Fairs have company representatives present who are able to do a pre-interview on the spot with everyone that comes through. When you apply online, (you can see an example of this by visiting the Home Depot application) the hiring department has no way of knowing what you look like, what type of personality you have or if you come across as someone that would fit with their corporate culture. [Corporate culture is the short-hand term for “others who work there of the same mind set”]
- The more often you attend a job fair – even if you are unsuccessful – the more comfortable you will become in blowing your own horn just enough but not too much. These fairs provide an opportunity to practice speaking to potential employers and making the best impression possible. **When you leave a job fair, do some self examination reviewing what you said right, what you wished you had emphasized and how you physically appeared to the person from the company. Make any changes you feel you need to make for the next time.
- You have the opportunity to talk to a company representative and ask questions about what the company’s mission is, how many employees are full-time and if they offer education reimbursement funds if you take classes toward completing a degree.
Current Job Fairs for 2013
We have listed a few of the Military Job Fairs that are taking place around the U.S. including a basic description of what you can expect in the way of jobs, what you should bring with you and suggestions related to how you should dress when you attend.
- Chicago, Il – Sponsored by Orion International – January 13 & 14, 2013 – Orion is a private business that is contracted by corporations around the U.S. to scout for Military experienced personnel who can fill the openings of several major businesses around the nation. The Military job fair in Chicago is only one of many that are being held by Orion on this date. Hiring managers will be present and will personally speak with you. This event begins on January 13th at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 5:00 p.m. on January 14th. Take a general resume written by you that focuses on your personal experience and skills sets rather than a list previous jobs. Other Locations for Orion Military Job Fairs for January 13 & 14, 2013 – include San Diego, Ca. and Fishkill, N.Y.
- TechExpo Military Job Fairs for January 15, 2013 – 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Tysons Corner, Va at the Marriot hotel and in Vienna, Va for the same date and times.
- January 17th in Savannah, GA – Hiring and Resource Expo – Sponsored by SolidHires – from10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. at Hunter-Airfield. SolidHires focuses on professional career jobs with corporate partners in Savannah.
- San Diego, California – Sponsored by The Patriot Group – February 7, 2013 Liberty Station Conference Center, San Diego, CA – This job fair is directed at active-duty military, military spouses and veterans. They have a variety of employers already signed up including U.S. Customs, the Los Angeles Police Department and Project Hired. Dress as if you were going to church without a tie.
- February 20, 2013 – Virginia Beach Convention Center – 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Sponsored by Corporate Gray– A small sample of the Employers that have already registered include shipbuilding corporations, Prince William County Police Department, Capital One and Construction companies.